thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 12, 2021 22:40:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As the underboss intended to adopt a fairly low profile until they'd established a stronger foothold in the city, the status of Gavin's Sootopolis home as a minor safehouse was known to a select few. His siblings knew, of course, as well as Rocket's upper management.

The choice to inform had been Gavin's; they were practically neighbours, and Anderson was a Sootopolis native besides.

Gavin's doorbell chimes, pleasant, and a moment passes before the door opens.

The underboss offers a courteous nod as he steps aside, allowing the other entry into the home. Though it speaks to his wealth, it is otherwise an unassuming property — until a door hidden behind a closet's false wall reveals a set of stairs leading down.

The basement was not a part of the home's original floorplan.

"I thought it important for you to know this is here, should you ever require shelter from the League."

When they reach the bottom of the stairs, light illuminates a hidden laboratory.

close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
I took the Sin out of Sinnoh. Want to help me put it back in Hoenn?
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 1:22:34 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"I thought it important for you to know this is here, should you ever require shelter from the League."
"Reminds me of the old family home," Bill said, looking around fondly. He breathed in a lungful of ocean breeze. Down here on the beachfront the air was thicker, more real. Full of salt and coconut.

Bill's Minccino, Laurence, padded behind the pair. The pristine white Pokemon gazed up at the towering walls. Its eyes were wide, unblinking, never missing a thing.
"My new place is up in the hills, in Alta Mista," Bill said, pulling a book off one of the bookshelves. He ran his hand down the spine, nodded, and slipped it back into its spot. "It's smaller than the manor, but there's no blonde kids running around any more."

He wondered about Gavin. The man looked tired enough to be a recent father, but something told him this house had never had kids in it. A combination of the pristine white walls and the lack of sentimental knickknacks.

"I appreciate the concern, my friend," Bill said, as the pair headed downstairs. "Though if I find myself here things will be very serious. I'm not one to get caught. I've been with rocket for over twenty years and look at me!" he gestured sweepingly at his pristine clothes, his unblemished skin. His Minccino, which had followed them down the stairs, looked like he had been bleached and blow-dried that morning. "I'm still clean."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 11:01:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin seems indifferent to 's handling of his books, glancing toward him before returning his attention to their destination. So long as he handled them with respect, which he had.

"My former residence was in Fallarbor. It's been quite the adjustment."

Concrete steps make no sound as they descend.

"Naturally, such a pristine record is noted and appreciated."

The same could not be said for Gavin's own, especially thanks to a recent excursion on Mt. Pyre. It mattered little; he was loyal to Rocket until the end, whether the League hunted him down or let him be.

"It will help keep their guard down."

Gavin's underground laboratory is as clean as Anderson's record. Along one wall, a hydroponic setup provides a splash of colour to an otherwise sterile environment. What appears to be a setup for fossil revivification dominates another section of the space, a partially excavated ribcage catching light against its curving bones.
close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 13:11:11 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"It will help keep their guard down."
Bill surveyed the setup in the basement. It was refined. Minimalist yet top of the line. Spotless glassware sheltered precious plants, and day bulbs lit the setup from above. It was an enviable setup. A little slice of science, hidden below a beautiful, mundane surface. The familiar glint of sunlight on bone caught his attention. 

"Is that a fossil reanimator?" Bill asked, withholding judgement.  "That's for private use and not mass repopulation, I hope. The Lord wiped out those Pokemon for a reason." 

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 13:52:19 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The subjects shifts, as does Gavin's gaze, to the fossil reanimator.

"It is, yes."

There's a touch of pride in his tone. They were expensive and not easy to acquire but fossil Pokemon had been a passion of Gavin's before Rocket had got their claws in him. He imagines it might've been his life's work if they hadn't.

Yet it seemed such passions stood in opposition to the teachings of Arceus. Gavin, who'd not been raised religious, hadn't known.

He lifts his brows.

"Yet in modern days they thrive under the right conditions. Except for those abominations from Galar, but no one counts them." No one worth their salt, in his opinion. He still kept them for his collection. "But, yes, it's for private use; I'd hardly have the time to do anything else."

Rocket kept him tangled in their affairs.
close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 14:34:33 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"Yet in modern days they thrive under the right conditions."
"Don't get me wrong Gavin, I've got a healthy respect for these beautiful creatures," Bill said, smiling at the fossil machine. The science had come a long way in the last few decades. "I had an Aerodactyl of my own, long ago," he said, as if admitting a shameful secret. Bill's Aerodactyl had been a first generation resurrection, from when the process was far from perfect. He had acquired eight of them before finding one without cloning defects.

"They're survivors, you're right! And what's more admirable than that? You strike me as a survivor too," Bill said. He was relaxed now, familiar with the space, and had begun to pace slowly around the workshop. 

"The problem isn't bringing back things long dead. Why, sometimes that sort of thing can help! Imagine all the murders we could solve if we could reanimate corpses! Why, if the dead could talk again I'm sure the world would be a much different place." Bill laughed, safe in the knowledge that even if the technology existed, nobody would be reanimating Abigail's bones any time soon. 

"But the power of creation isn't for us. Only one holds that power by right, Gavin. Arceus." Bill stopped pacing, his gaze coming to rest on Gavin. "The rest of us are here for another purpose: Destruction."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 14:55:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He relaxes at the notion of respect, watching as Anderson paces around his laboratory. This was his sanctuary and it took a good amount of trust in Rocket to allow others into his space.

"Had?" Gavin echoes. "What happened to it?"

Gavin had two Aerodactyl of his own.

"You strike me as a survivor too."

Gavin huffs softly, the barest hint of amusement in the gesture. All he had done, he had done to survive. It showed easily in the scars that marked his skin — where Bill was clean, unblemished, Gavin bore the marks of failure and punishment. A vicious scar divides the palm of his left hand, a mark above his eyebrow turned white with age.

"I'm sure it would solve many a crime. A shame they can't."

There's a note of dark humour in his tone. He cants his head when Bill turns to him, preaching the word of his Lord. Gavin's gaze reflects indifference but not disdain.

"Destruction of what?"

close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 15:30:55 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"Destruction of what?"
"Time killed them," Bill stated. "Twenty five years is a decent lifespan for many Pokemon, let alone those that were born through unrefined science." Unlike Abigail, the graves of Bill's Aerodactyl were clearly marked. He hadn't visited them since he'd been back in Hoenn, but he would soon. There was business to be done on Mt Pyre. 

"Yeah," Bill said, matching Gavin's smile as they shared an unspoken joke. "Such a shame." Bill's smile went wider as Gavin asked the perfect lead in question.

"Tell me this, Gavin. If a Poochyena runs down a Zigzagoon in the woods, is that good or evil?" He paused, giving Gavin a moment to weight the question in his mind. 

"Neither! It's natural. It's Arceus pruning the weak, and making room for new growth. Now if a Ranger steps in and steals the dinner from the mouth of that Poochyena, is that natural? No! It's mankind meddling where they don't belong. It's a weakening of the natural order to fit some high-minded values that humans are trying to impose on Pokemon."  In Bill's mind everything was so clear. The logic so flawless. The clarity was what allowed him to speak with such conviction. "Pokemon live, and hunt, and mate, and grow stronger for it. The weak die out, and they're replaced by new creations, and everyone is better off for it."

"So it's simple. We destroy the League."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 19:27:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Time.

Gavin nods, though he finds himself unable to relate; of all the Pokemon he'd lost, none of them had been to the slow creep of age. Failed experiments, fallen in battle, taken down by Necrozma, his partners had all met grisly fates.

"I don't subscribe to good and evil."

Yet he seems to agree with on the natural order of things.

In Rocket, he'd been taught such a pecking order — the strong would prey upon the weak, and the weak could only adapt or die.

The sudden shift in conversation to the League is jarring, but he adapts quickly.

"It's not so different from the natural order." A smirk plays upon his lips. "Rocket is strong where they are weak."

And like predators, they would hunt.
close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 23:54:07 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"It's not so different from the natural order."
"Exactly right," Bill said, making on open handed gesture. His arms opened wide, as if he were accepting Gavin's statement on good and evil with both arms. "Good and Evil aren't objective points. They are human creations."

Gavin understood. At the man's mention of the natural order, Bill nodded. They had found common ground. He soothed his sermon, speaking more casually. 

"Rocket is stronger." Bill agreed, honing in on Gavin's point and surrounding it with his words. "It always has been. We follow the natural order of predator and prey, and in doing so we let the world advance."

"The League is a stagnant institution. It protects and promotes mediocracy."
Bill sighed, using one hand to adjust his already perfect hair. "They were stronger fifty years ago! There were Ranger outposts in every route. League Officers patrolling and protecting the cities instead of the police. Every kid wanted to grow up to be either a Ranger or an Officer." He gave a sad smile. "But they got complacent. They let power drain into other government works. They decentralized, and lost the strength they had."

"Now they're a shell, Gavin. Just a husk of what they used to be. Large and unwieldy, and lacking the punch or power to do anything. They're like a Wailord, beached and hanging on, refusing to die."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 15:58:46 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Vaguely, Gavin acknowledges that he's being preached to. It's in Anderson's nature; just as fish swam the streams to spawn, so too would this man preach the word of his Lord wherever he went. Gavin is not religious, but neither does it offend him. He thinks of 's rituals for Darkrai, Cresselia, Lugia, wonders if there's any such decorum for followers of The Original One.

A husk of what they used to be.

Some would describe Rocket as the same — soft, weak where Silas' Rocket had been strong. Gavin sees change rather than complacency.

There's something dark in his eyes at the mention of power. Hungry.

"What do you do with something that's suffering? That refuses to die?" It's a rhetorical question, a gentle lilt to his tone. "You put it out of its misery, Father."

Like a lame horse, the League would be put down.
close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 16:08:21 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"What do you do with something that's suffering? That refuses to die?"
"But how do you break a shell?" Bill asks back, matching the rhetorical words with a questions and answer of his own. "It's built to withstand. Fortified by geometry to resist a strike for the heart."

Bill smiled, and the light rose in his eyes like a new dawn. "You have to break it from within."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 16:14:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He cants his head like a predator observing the movements of prey.

The prey is not Anderson, but the League.

"There is more than one way to skin a Skitty," he purrs. "Soften from within, and look for chinks in its armour from without. No shell is impenetrable."

They had learned through Blackwell, through Klaussner, that a single approach would not do. Now they poisoned the well to leave the town weakened for the siege.

"This region will be ours."

Mine.
close tab

played by

D-Bug

Father Bill
he/him
November 24
Sootopolis
Bisexual
Daddy
Councilman
She's with Arceus now
78 height
78 height
awards
287 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bill
Bill Anderson
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 16:35:04 GMT
Bill Anderson Avatar
X

"Soften from within, and look for chinks in its armour from without. No shell is impenetrable."
"I'd love to make a move to help you Gavin, but I'd be a fool to think that you didn't have plans already in motion." Bill's return to Hoenn had only been partially of his own will. At its core, it had been a request directly from Declan Walsh. Return to Hoenn. Remain unsuspected. Report to Gavin.  

"I know Sootopolis, I know politics, and I'm at your disposal. Where do you need me?" 

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
revolution
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 19:06:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's lips curl to show his canines.

"You are right where I need you. Here."

He makes a sweeping gesture with his arm as if to indicate not just the basement, the home, but the city in which it stood.

"Sootopolis is our goal. We'll topple it from without and from within."

His tongue clicks against teeth with a soft hiss of breath.

"I have it on good authority that a certain councilman won't be returning to work." He lights a cigarette and leans against the bleached-white brick of the basement wall. Smoke billows black from his lips, not gray. "They'll need a replacement, I imagine..."